Check Your Chimney
Now is the time of year to check your fireplace chimney, before you have that first fire in the evening!
Every year fire departments respond to chimney fires in our communities. Homeowners should check their chimney for any signs of corrosion or deterioration. Chimneys should be cleaned and inspected at least once each year. Clean chimneys don’t catch fire!
Signs you have already had a chimney fire include:
- “Puffy or “honey combed” creosote inside the chimney
- Warped metal of the damper, metal connector pipe or factory built chimney
- Cracked or collapsed flue tiles or tiles with large chunks missing
- Discolored or distorted rain cap
- Creosote flakes or pieces found on the roof or ground
- Cracks in exterior masonry
- Evidence of smoke escaping through motor joints