Discarding Fireplace Ashes
The Upper Pine River Fire Department wants to remind everyone to use a metal can with a tight fitting lid for fireplace ashes.
Every year the department responds to fires started by improperly discarded fireplace ashes.
Tips for safely discarding your fireplace ashes:
- Do not use plastic buckets, card board boxes, brown paper bags or trash cans for ashes.
- Ashes can stay hot for many days or even a week.
- Those ashes can ignite the wrong container when left outside where the wind blows.
- Or even worse, they can ignite the container when left inside the home, resulting in the house catching on fire!
- So stay safe and use the proper container for your ashes.