Upper Pine River Fire Protection District
The Upper Pine River Fire Protection District provides all-risk fire, rescue and emergency medical services to 265 square miles of eastern La Plata County, southwest Colorado, not far from the Four Corners of Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah. The District serves a permanent population of approximately 15,000 residents. Because this is a popular vacation area our summer population can climb to 30,000. More About Us...
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LA PLATA COUNTY COMMISSIONERS ENACT
. The use of a campfire, coal or wood-burning stove, any type of charcoal grill or open fire in any undeveloped area is prohibited. The fire restrictions do not include charcoal fires in suitable containers or gas grills for barbeques at private residences or fires within designated campground pits with protective grates; however, residents and visitors alike must not leave these fires unattended and must carefully and fully extinguish them after use.
The open flame prohibitions also include the following:
- Smoking is limited to vehicles, buildings, developed recreational areas and 3-foot-wide areas cleared of vegetation;
- Fireworks are prohibited;
- Use of explosive material is prohibited;
- Use of any internal combustion engine is prohibited unless it is equipped with an approved and functioning spark-arresting device;
- Welding and cutting operations must be conducted with a 20-foot radius safe zone free of vegetation with a 2.5-gallon pressurized fire extinguisher or 5 lb. ABC extinguisher or pressurized water supply and proper hand tools on-site with a fire watch individual standing by continuously; and
- Flaring for production wells may be allowed with approval from the designated fire chief.
ALL BURN PERMITS ARE CURRENTLY SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
Our administrative office and fire stations are now closed to public visitors. Due to limited staffing Burn Permits are issued Monday-Thursday 8 AM-4 PM. If you need a Burn Permit please obtain one here:
ATTENTION FOREST LAKES RESIDENTS
UPRFPD DOES NOT issue burn permits for the Forest Lakes area. You are allowed to have 3 ft x 3 ft recreational fires in a manufactured pit with a spark arrestor and you do not need a burn permit for that. All other burnings in the area are forbidden.